Starting from the end: Archival wandering in July

The end of June was a turning point for me. After six months of non-stop reading, summarizing, and logging my thoughts, I prepared documents for the supervisory committee and took the time to reflect on the next steps to take during the hot summer, which brought me to archival research on Chinese students in Belgium between 1937 and 1950.

I admit that 1937-1950 might be an unusual starting point given it would cover the last chapter of my work. I start from the end, basically, but then again, the history of Sino-Belgian educational exchanges during World War II and the aftermath is completely terra incognita to me and since I’ve found material from organizations that supported Chinese students in Belgium during that period, it would be good to do an initial mapping of the events before eventually “jumping” to an earlier moment in time.

So, this has been most of my July 2026 so far: going back and forth between reports, letters and meeting minutes, documenting and taking notes.

I haven’t managed to go over all of the documents. I face difficulties, like reading Chinese governmental documents (I sought help!) but from what I have gathered from the francophone sources, I picked up something interesting. It seems that the office that paid out the Boxer scholarships in Belgium changed their function during the earlier phases of the war (1937-1939), focusing more and more on students’ repatriation and only financing specific studies. Then, after the ending of the program was officially announced in December 1939, the same organization continued to exist, using leftover money from the scholarship bank account to aid a small number of destitute students until 1952 (!). 

It is an impression, of course, I still have to recheck and triangulate some of my observations, but at least it opens up the possibility that some endings are not absolute, i.e. that some aspects of a transnational scholarship program could “live” longer than what was intended and still have effects on people even after the institutional “expiration date.” 

Popular posts from this blog

In the spotlight: The Three 'Doctoral Sisters' in 1930s Brussels

Reviewing Elicit